Saturday, May 29, 2010

Style Profile #13: Elaine Hepburn




Name
: Elaine, Lainey-lu, MissElaineia

Occupation: Charity Education Outreach Worker, Art Therapist in training, Singer, Writer, Artist (in the becoming!)

Locale: London, for now.

Favorite shops/labels: For day to day style and ease, I still love good old h&m, though I usually go for the clothes left on the sale racks that no-one else wanted. I've never had the money to experiment with expensive designer labels but would secretly love to, as I reckon they'd cut to fit really well. Otherwise charity shops anywhere and everywhere - especially in towns in the middle of nowhere and in posh areas of London (for amazing deals!). Fav highstreet shop at the moment is 'Pop Boutique', a vintage-inspired/homemade clothes shop to be found in the tangle of interesting streets in between Neal Street and Leicester Square:
http://www.pop-boutique.com/where/Pop
Or Rag N Bone Vintage clothing in Deptford:
http://www.chriscareyscollections.co.uk/boutique.html
Or the fabulous 'Kitt's Couture' if you happen to be in Penzance, Cornwall!

Fashion Influences: My childhood, my ladyfriends, my Mum! The 60s/70s/80s and the collective unconcsious... (often my ideas come from seeming nowhere...) Working clothes- cowgirls, aprons, Japanese construction workers, India, Africa and countries where all sorts of patterns and styles are worn jostling along simultaneously. The odd glamour-puss; Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe; The Be-good Tanyas, Madonna (in the early years), Bjork.

Local Fashion Scene: London fashion is vast and eclectic, and multicultural - I love it. You can pretty much cater for any fashion whim you might have, it just takes you a while to work out where to find it. Currently I am stuck on Deptford - for its amazing African boutique/tailors, and the retro shops that are still chaff-and-grain, and still retro prices. I've heard there is a huge clothes mountain somewhere under one of the railway arches, where lots of vintage clothing outlets go to source clothes and get the deals, but I haven't quite mustered the energy to go find out for myself! Then there's Southall for anything Indian; whole streets of silks and sparkles, and then with the Indian restaurants, supermarkets, cinemas and Hindi signs, it feels like you are a hop and a skip from the sari emporiums in Chennai!


*Interested in being a Peach?*
Send 1) one full-length pic, 2) 2 to 4 other snapshots that capture your style, 3) your name, locale, fav shops, influences, the scene in your city, or any other pertinent info to pickypeaches@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Pop Boutique is one of my new favorites too. Its on my walk from my work to Charing Cross.

    Erin, I really like your blog! ~Cecilia

    ReplyDelete